• Dear Mr. Brown • Dear Ms. White • Dear Sir • Dear Madam • Dear Sir or Madam • Gentlemen
• We are writing - to inform you that ... - to confirm ... - to request ... - to enquire about ... • I am contacting you for the following reason... • I recently read/heard about ..... and would like to know .... • Having seen your advertisement in ..., I would like to ... • I would be interested in (obtaining / receiving) ... • I received your address from ----- and would like to ...
Referring to previous contact
• Thank you for your letter of March 15. • Thank you for contacting us. • In reply to your request, ... • Thank you for your letter regarding ... • With reference to our telephone conversation yesterday... • Further to our meeting last week ... • It was a pleasure meeting you in London last month. • I enjoyed having lunch with you last week in Tokyo. • I would just like to confirm the main points we discussed on Tuesday.
Making a request
• We would appreciate it if you would ... • I would be grateful if you could ... • Could you please send me ... • Could you possibly tell us / let us have ... • In addition, I would like to receive ... • It would be helpful if you could send us ... • I am interested in (obtaining / receiving) ... • I would appreciate your immediate attention to this matter. • Please let me know what action you propose to take.
• Would you like us to ...? • We would be happy to ... • We are quite willing to ... • Our company would be pleased to ...
Giving good news
• We are pleased to announce that ... • I am delighted to inform you that .. • You will be pleased to learn that ...
Giving bad news
• We regret to inform you that ... • I'm afraid it would not be possible to ... • Unfortunately we cannot / we are unable to ... • After careful consideration we have decided (not) to
• I am writing to express my dissatisfaction with ... • I am writing to complain about ... • Please note that the goods we ordered on ( date ) have not yet arrived. • We regret to inform you that our order №° _ is now considerably overdue. • I would like to query the transport charges which seem unusually high.
Exercise 13:These letters are not finished. Find an appropriate continuation from the prompts given below. The main thing is to express refusal and explain it.
We thank you for sending us your offer of 9 September.